Thursday, May 6, 2010

Review: True Blood episode 1.2: The First Taste

This episode was not as good as the first one. I mean, well, not that much really happened. It was mostly just exposition-type blather. I suppose it was necessary, and it wasn't like the dialogue sounded forced or anything, because it was natural that Sookie and Bill would be talking to each other about "the rules of vampirism etc. etc," it just wasn't particularly... interesting.

I mean, in the first episode, as a viewer, you were never quite sure what was going on - everything was shrouded in some mystery. But then the show decided to devote this episode to explaining everything that happened in the previous episode, with very little action to accompany all the explaining. It was mostly just talk - there were some good scenes and things, but nothing particularly visceral, which is what I spent the last review babbling about so incessantly. I assume the show will get better, as this episode was all setup, but I hope they didn't just stuff all their goodd stuff in the first episode, leaving bugger all for the rest of the season (like Californication or some shit).

Also, I'm not sure how much I like Bill's overt Lord Byron-ness. It seems alright for now, but it could get real old, real fast. Like, Lord Byron is hot when the relationship starts, but the idea of him in a comfortable, steady, happy relationship seems weird. Like, he'll keep having to create unnecessary melodrama in order to sustain his interest and his maintain his persona. I don't know if this is what the show will do with him, but I am wary.

No comments:

Post a Comment