Thursday, May 13, 2010

Review: Lowdown episode 1.4: Hart of Darkness

Well, it's good to see that single camera Australian comedies have finally realised that pretending to be The Office is a bad idea, given the fact that if the show isn't funny (and these shows never were - I like Wayne Hope, but he's no Ricky Gervais) it just becomes excruciatingly painful to watch. And the thing about making a comedy difficult to watch - turns out, its a bad idea!

This show seems to know that a comedy where you actually hate every single character is just no fun. I mean, yes, the two main guys in this were morons, but they were likable morons (or at least likable enough morons) so it was okay. I mean, it wasn't actually very funny, like, at all, I chuckled maybe, I don't know, twice, but it didn't make me change the channel in disgust, so this is a step in the right direction for Australian comedy (after taking so, so, so many steps in the wrong direction). It was fun enough, and the plot was interesting enough, and the characters were charming enough, to keep you watching. It wasn't great, but it was watchable.

So that's the mild praise out of the way, now for my problems with it. I didn't like the homophobia thing - it was weird and out of place. And sometimes the joke constructions were pretty obvious. And it really didn't explain why that woman's sister was sleeping in a tent in an art gallery. I mean, okay, her nymphomania meant she lost her job and her apartment bla bla bla, so her sister decided to let her stay with her, I get that. But why in a tent? And why in an art gallery? Wouldn't it have made more sense just to let her, you know, stay in your house? This was never explained, and there wasn't even a proper punchline for it, so... why?

No comments:

Post a Comment