Sunday, May 30, 2010

Metapost: 100 years, 100 films

I have decided, somewhat stupidly, to conduct a film experiment, or filmic challenge. Over the next hundred(ish) days, I intend to watch one film from each year from 1910 to 2009, in chronological order. I'll then review them here, with added bonus-y things, like a list of my ten favourite films from each decade that I have just completed. I will also use this as an opportunity to blather on about my idiosyncratic and probably incorrect views on film history, talking about each film and what it represents about its time period.

I have established some arbitrary rules for myself, because what's a pointless challenge with pointless rules. The rules are as follows:
1. I can't have seen any of the films I watch. They all have to be new to me. (And no. I haven't seen any of these films. Yes, I know, I'm a cinematic idiot bla bla bla. I'm trying, aren't I?)
2. There can't be more than two films by any one director, and those two films can't be in a row.
3. I can't watch any other films in between - these have to be the only films I see until I've finished. I can watch t.v. shows and stuff, but no other movies.

And that's about it. Now on to 1910.

No comments:

Post a Comment