Monday, May 24, 2010

Review: Doctor Who episode 5.6: The Vamipres of Venice

This was kind of a mediocre episode, but that's okay - I was expecting it to be terrible. The fact that I wasn't actively annoyed by everything meant that I was just pleasantly bored by the whole thing. Nothing actually interesting happened, it was all pretty much just generic Doctor Who heroics, with the odd mildly good line of dialogue here and there, but I wasn't yelling at my television in anger, so it's a step in the right direction.

The main problem I had with the episode (apart from its lack of anything particularly good) was the fact the whole moral ambiguity at the end. I just sat there thinking, "man, you really haven't earnt this at all. Trying to make me feel bad for the death of this species - piss off." I mean, it could have been handled well if there was that sort of melancholic tone throughout the entire episode. If the Doctor had legitimately felt bad about the destruction of this alien race the whole time, it could have been good. But you can't go from, "You didn't even know here name!" justified anger to, "oh boo hoo this alien race is dying" without any discernable reason. It's just sort of sloppy.

No comments:

Post a Comment