Friday, June 11, 2010

This Week's Comics: Booster Gold, Secret Six, Deadpool Corps, Deadpool Wade Wilson's War, Chew, House of Mystery, Buzzard

Booster Gold no. 33 written by Keith Giffen and J.M. Dematteis, drawn by Chris Batista. This was... pretty good, I guess. I don't know. I think I'm getting bored with superhero comics again. I mean, throughout this whole thing, what I was most entertained by was the conversation about the appropriateness of swearing in front of little kids. A conversation that took place between a superhero and a floating robot. I'm getting too old for this shit.

Secret Six no. 22 written by Gail Simone, drawn by J. Calafiore. Again, the superhero stuff just wasn't as interesting to me as the other stuff - the flashback about the horrible man who forced his son to murder his mother. The rest of it... eh.

Deadpool Corps no. 3 written by Victor Gischler, drawn by Rob Leifeld. It's really difficult to review more than a few Deadpool comics. There are only so many different ways you can say, "kind of stupid, but pretty funny." So, yeah, "kind of stupid, but pretty funny."

Deadpool Wade Wilson's War no. 1 written by Duane Swierczynski, drawn by Jason Pearson. Okay, I've decided to address the fact that one thing that I like about Deadpool comics is that Deadpool is actually properly insane. And that part of his insanity is the fact that he believes that he is a character in a comic book. Woah, dude. Meta.

Chew no. 11 written by John Layman, drawn by Rob Guillory. This was actually really good. I am kind of getting sick of superheroes, but there are plenty of non-superhero books out there to keep me enjoying the medium until I get over my, "ugh ever superhero book is exactly the same and completely formulaic and the writers are all hacks and bla bla bla" thing, and one of those books that I've just discovered is "Chew". The artwork is fun and stylised, the writing is interesting, the concept bizarrely entertaining. Seems like a pretty good book. Might see if I can find some back issues...

House of Mystery no. 26 written by Matthew Sturges, drawn by Luca Rossi and Christiana Cucina. This had nice artwork and good writing, but I didn't really understand what was going on a lot of the time. I mean, this was the first issue I read, and I heard that it was a horror anthology comic, but there is this weird and convoluted linking story that didn't seem to make a whole heap of sense, so... yeah.

Buzzard no. 1 written and drawn by Eric Powell. I liked this, I guess, but it wasn't really what I was expecting. There were no jokes in it. There was great artwork, and Powell's patented brand of bleak, humiliating despair, but there weren't any of the jokes to lighten the mood. Well, not lighten the mood, exactly, but make the heavy mood more palatable.

No comments:

Post a Comment