Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Review: Science Fiction: Studies in Film by Frederick Pohl and Frederick Pohl IV (1980)

Whoops. My first book review here, and it's for a book about science fiction. Normally I do read more than I have been lately, I just... I don't know. Haven't been reading much. And I didn't read this book because it was about science fiction, I read it because it was about film. Not that I have anything against science fiction or anything, I just generally find it really boring.

This book, however, was not boring. It wasn't much of anything else, but it wasn't boring. It sort of read like a coffee table book about science fiction movies, except with a lot less pretty pictures. Oh sure, sometimes it would make actually decent points - its analysis of 2001: A Space Odyssey was a highlight - but sometimes it just spent pages and pages waffling on about the difference between scifi and science fiction, and I just didn't care.

There were other enjoyable bits as well - trashing Richard Fleischer, the man who should never have been allowed to direct another film after Doctor Dolittle (starring Rex Harrison), or talking about the fact that the producers of Moonraker were mentally retarded when they said, "this movie isn't science fiction, it's science fact." Or when the book just starts screaming about how awful the Disney movie The Black Hole is. This was all good, and the book also made some good points about how and why special effects improve over the years, and it certainly wasn't difficult to read, but it was basically just a light, breezy read. I certainly shouldn't have this as my inaugral book. Oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment